Visio swimlane diagrams are helpful for users to undertake business projects. However, have you ever consider trying some other great Visio alternatives to do so? In today’s article, we will explore more about the swimlane diagram and how to create one with a Visio alternative software.
What is a Swimlane Diagram?
The swimlane diagram clearly shows the daily operations of a department. In the vertical direction, it shows functional departments, while in the horizontal direction it displays roles. The drawing process of a swimlane diagram is similar to a traditional flow chart. Here is a swimlane diagram example that shows you the hiring process of a company.
Nowadays, different sizes of firms from small business to international enterprises companies are using Gantt charts to tracking massive projects. However, how to create a Gantt chart easily if you want to get rid of those quite expensive and complex Gantt chart software such as Microsoft Project? In today’s article, we will show you the step-by-step guide! Before carry on, let’s quickly see some basic concepts of the Gantt chart.
What is a Gantt Chart? – Key Elements
A Gantt chart shows a set of breakdown scheduled tasks over a certain period based on time span and task sequence. In reality, project managers can easily spot and monitor different tasks to achieve the final goal. Generally, the Gantt chart has the following five key elements:
Click to enlargeFree Download Gantt Chart Software
- Task names – which tell you what a task is mainly about, for example, online application development;
- Taskbars – which shows task details including the start and finish date, the sum-up of working hours, task progress and so on;
- Relationships – this part includes task priority, task sequence, and task dependencies;
- Project Milestones – it is in the form of a small diamond-shaped icon to remark major progress of your project;
- Team Resource Management – this part shows who should do what tasks by using what kinds of materials etc;
A genogram shows an overall family history with specific symbols to reflect relationships, medical conditions and so on. Usually, genograms are used for identifying potential physical and mental diseases. You can create a genogram by using a pencil, or via a Visio genogram alternative. Here we gonna see together how to do it.