Choose and Open a Template
- Start your Visio on your computer or open Visio (Web) on your browser. If Visio has been open, select File > New.
- Click Flowchart under the search bar and quickly find the templates. You can also select Basic Diagram or Blank Drawing to start from scratch.
- When you find the template you want, click on the thumbnail to open the drawing editor window.
Add and Connect Flowchart Shapes
- Select a shape in the Shapes window, drag and drop it onto the drawing page directly.
- To connect the shapes, click on the Connector on the Tools group of the Home tab. Besides, you can pause your mouse over the shape and click on one of the arrows. A small toolbar will appear with four common shapes.
As you can see from the image below, select the shape you want to use, and it will automatically connect with the right shape.
Add Text to Shapes and Connectors
- Double-click to select the shape or the connector.
- Type the text on the text boxes. When you begin to edit, the selected shape or connector will be changed into the text editing mode.
- When you finish typing, click any empty area of the page or press the Esc key.
In the end, the flowchart is complete. You can also customize your Visio flowchart and there is more you can do with the formatting options in Visio.